Setting Up Thunderbird E-Mail
These are some hints on how to setup the Thunderbird E-Mail client
program on your Windows machine.
Download and install Thunderbird from:
- accept defaults
- when asked if you want a new email address click on "skip this and use my existing email"
- enter name, email address, and password, click "continue"
- while it is busy trying to figure things out itself, just click on "manual configuration"
- set the three lines to:
incoming - pop3 - pop3.kw.igs.net - 110 - None - Normal password
outgoing - smtp - smtpout.kw.igs.net - 587 - StartTLS - Normal password
username - (your normal IGS username for both incoming and outgoing)
- click "done" ... check "I understand" and click "done"
- click on the menu icon (the three horizontal bars in the right top area), then "Options", then "Account settings"
- Select "Server Settings" on the left and remove the checkmarks (in this order) in the "Until I delete them", "For at most", and "Leave messages on server" check boxes, click "ok"
- send a message to yourself to ensure you didn't miss a step, wait a few seconds after it says it was sent and it will show up in your inbox, you may have to click "Get Messages" depending on other options you have set
- you are done
There are lots of options in this program to tune it to suite your needs.
Information Gateway Services
20 Hanson Ave., Unit 3, Kitchener, Ontario, N2C 2E2